Sunday, March 30, 2008

Ski Kirkwood, Day 2

Woke up a 6:45am because I wanted to experience skiing on freshly groomed snow. The drive from the hotel to Kirkwood took about an hour, but surprisingly, there were already cars in the parking lot when we arrived!

We quickly got ready and waited by the lifts. But, the lift operator that stopped us. "Lift opens at 9am!" he shouted. Since that was 15 more minutes of waiting, we went into the cafe to sit it out.

At 9am sharp, we hit the slope again. I went back to lift #9 and hit those three green slopes. Freshly groom snow was not what it was made up to be:( It was warm enough on Saturday that some surface snow had melted and froze overnight. The slope was icy and the only Funny Bunny had some powder on it.

H came to check on me right before lunch. She mentioned my turns were perfectly parallel now, but the inner ski was forced by conscious leg motion. I was not letting my turns developed enough because I didn't want too much speed. But, more speed was actually the key to finding the edge!

We had a quick lunch and I went back to the green slopes to continue practising with my new found knowledge. I gained a little confidence and went back on Squirrel Ridge to try out my new found skills. But on the initial steep section, my right turn involuntarily revert back to wedge:(

Feeling frustrated, I did a few more runs on Funny Bunny. This pattern continued for the rest of the afternoon.

It was a rather cold day for spring skiing. In fact, light snow flurries fell most of the afternoon. The slope was really icy and the new layer of snow was too light to hide the ice.

We stopped skiing at about 4pm when the lift stopped operation and headed back to the Bay area.

My skiing skills are slowly improving and I can begin to appreciate why some people are addicted to skiing.

No comments: