Sunday, April 6, 2008

Holi

I went to Holi at Stanford with A.

Holi is the Indian festival of colors. I had heard my Indian co-workers described it and also saw a scene in "Out Sourced" that depicted the celebration. A is from India, but growing up, he did not celebrate Holi...at least not this way, so he was very much looking forward to this event.

The day was unusually cold. As advised by A, I wore a white T-shirt and shorts, but had to wear a light jacket to keep warm. We arrived at Sandhill field at about 1pm, but was too cold and hungry to participant in any celebration. Instead, we hit the food stands:)

We caught a lucky break after lunch. The sun shined a little and warmed up the field. In India, people celebrated Holi by splashing permanent colored water on each other. At Stanford, water soluble colored powder was used instead. There were water hose was available and some festival goers had brought along water pistol just to get people wet. Given the weather, I was glad I managed to stay dry.

I was mildly colored when I left.

Some others at the festival were not as lucky.

We were there for a total of 2 hours. It was interesting finally seeing Holi in person.

No comments: