Friday, March 7, 2008

Cinequest 18: Dot.com

Cinequest is an independent film festival held in San Jose, typically with movies showing in Camera Cinemas, among other downtown locations. Since 2004, when I first found out about Cinequest, I always tried to attend at least one movie at Cinequest.

In general, movies at film festival can be hit or miss. Indie movies are not well reviewed and Cinequest tends to choose rather "unique films". Based on our schedule, H and I decided to watch "Dot.com", which had received decent review in Metro.

The movie is a fictional tale about a small village in Portugal which had registered its village name as an website. A multinational Spanish beverage company wanted the same website to promote its new mineral water product. There were some conflicts but, in the end, a happy ending was achieved.

The movies is quite funny, and enjoyable that way. Some details were not clearly handled, but, unlike some indie film, the overall story were coherent. I felt that the movie could have explored globalization and its impact/conflict on local culture more. But given globalization and its impact is such a serious topic, I doubt any movie could do the discussion justice while keeping the movie light and enjoyable.

It was H's first time at Cinequest and she liked the movie. I was relieved since I enjoy going to Film Festivals.

After the movie, we checked out A Perfect Finish wine bar in downtown San Jose. Unlike some other wine bar, A Perfect Finish serves tapas and dessert. I like the concept, since it is nice to be able to get a little food and drink after watching a performance/movie, in the downtown San Jose area.

On the night we visited, the bar were full, but most of the table were opened. I hoped this place does well, so I can come back for future visits.

No comments: