Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Life of a Spring Couplet-3

I called my calligraphy teacher in the morning. He graciously agreed to meet me over lunch to review my work.

His first observation is I had tried too hard to make the individual brush strokes dark, full and wide on all my attempts. While it is somewhat expected for Spring Couplets, it was not my style. He told me to stay true to my style.

Several other suggestions include using a different font for the word "Gold"(金), since it is repeated on the left in the word "Money"(钱). There were also some issues with spacing and balance. Finally, he reminded I need to add signatures and other elements to my work for complete spring couplets.

It so happens today I had my first class in Business Law at Mission College, so by the time I got home, it was already 10pm. After a quick dinner, I started working on the Spring Couplet.

Since I am down to my last 2 sheets of red Spring Couplet paper, I again practiced on white paper. At about 11pm, I figured it's now or never and wrote everything in one shot. Here's the outcome...

I know standard font(楷书) was not my strong point, so with the exception of writing my name, I was not going to write anything else on the work. The beginning Spring Couplet will need some other "eye candy". I decided to go with the Animal/Zodiac seal(肖形印) instead...

Took me about an hour to finish the seal...Here's a close up of the stamp... It is suppose to resemble a rat.
By now, it is 3am and I am too tired to finish putting the work together...The completion of this Spring Couplet will have to wait one more day...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

why you didn't use the macro function when taking the picture of the rat? it is not clear, but very cute, & it is a such great idea!