Monday, January 28, 2008

Life of a Spring couplet-2

After spending the night thinking about the Spring couplet Mom had quoted, I played around with the words and worked with my calligraphy teacher over lunch to come up with the following couplet instead.

金鼠咬钱入家苑
富贵好运引进门

Translation:
Golden rat carries money into the house
Prosperity and good luck is brought through the door

It is still not very good, but avoids the repeating words. Also the last word of the first sentence(苑) is of the fourth tone(去声) and the last word of the second sentence(门) is of the second tone(阳平). The spring couplet now has the proper rhymes.

I started working on this Spring Couplet at home, starting at about 8pm. Before any writing can start, I had to look up how these words should be written in Clerk's script(隶书) in the calligraphy dictionary. I am most proficient in Clerk's script and wanted to show off my strongest fonts.

Since I have limited number of red Spring Couplet paper, I did a practice run on white paper and before writing 3 versions on red Spring Couplet paper. It was almost 1am whem I was done. I am not satisfied with any of the versions. The following is the best of the lot, but clearly more work needs to be done.

No comments: