Sunday, January 27, 2008

Life of a Spring Couplet-1

Mom called. On her recent trip to China, she saw a Spring couplet(春联) she really liked and wanted me to write it for Chinese New Year. The couplet is as follows:

钱鼠咬钱进家门
富贵好运引进门

Translation:
Money rat carries money through the house door
Prosperity and good luck is brought through the door

I happened to be in my calligraphy class when Mom called. My calligraphy teacher felt this Spring Couplet did not have the proper format and rhymes. Speicifically, several words are repeated for no good reason like money(钱) and door(门). Also, using the same word(门) to conclude both sentence is usually not done. Clearly, some modifications to the wording would be needed.

Chinese New Year is less than 2 weeks away, the calligraphy needs to be completed quickly. My nickname in calligraphy class is "Spring away, Autumn arrives"(春去秋来). Completing calligraphy work with tight dateline is not exactly my strength:(

No comments: