Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Magic Flute

This is my first time at the Opera in the War Memorial Opera house. After going to various simulcast, I gave in:( I bought tickets!

The opera is the Magic Flute by Mozart by SF Opera. For this production, the set was designed by Gerald Scarfe, whose cartoon I had seen in the New Yorker. The set had a whimsical design so unique to Scarfe's cartoon and I was quite amused by the wacky animals he had created for the opera. There was a crocoguins (penguins with crocodile head), giraffestriches (giraffes with the body of an ostrich) and so on. It was quite delightful.
The famous "Queen of the Night Aria" was performed wonderfully! I had the tune stuck in my head all the way home.



A review of the opera from the SF Chronicle can be found here.

Overall, it was an enjoyable performance/experience. My only regret were buying balcony circle seat, which was too far remove from the stage. It was almost like the nose bleed section in sports arena, and there were times when I did not feel connected to the performers.

No comments: