Sunday, November 25, 2007

Evita, Bouchon Bakery and Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen

I won free tickets to Evita courtesy of KDFC. The musical was playing at Lincoln Theater in Yountville. Since the theater is quite a drive from where I stayed, so I figured I will a day out of it, making dinner reservations in advance.

I had not seen Evita the movie, but the storyline was remarkable familiar. Somehow, the story of an ambitious woman behind a dictator is a recurring theme in history:)

I could not find too much information about the company putting on the show, but I really enjoyed the singing. The actor playing Che had a wonderful voice, and had acted the rebellion behavior beautifully. The actress playing Eva was wonderful as well, with a bright voice, though I felt she over-acted in some segments. I particular like the cast for articulating the words clearly while singing, allowing me to follow the story. Props was less elaborate than some other musicals that I have seen, but adequate.

This is a little of bit of a cliche, but here's a video of "Don't cry for me, Argentina".

After the show, it was too early for dinner, so I decided to visit some of the local restaurants. Yountville is home to three Thomas Keller's restaurants: French Laundry, Bouchon and Ad Hoc. I stopped by all three to check them out.

Various reviews said Ad Hoc had a casual atmosphere, but it still looked quite sophisticated to me. I noticed French Laundry have a nice little garden just outside the waiting area by the hostess stand, which would be a lovely place to sip wine while waiting to be seated. I decided I wasn't going to leave Yountville without eating something. Luckily, there Bouchon Bakery. I tried a $3 tart de citron. A little more expensive than the your neighborhood bakery, but very good. I have a simple write up on Yelp for this location.

Dinner was at Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen. While there are many excellent restaurant in the Napa area, this seem to be the only option for a casual dinner. I wasn't wowed by the food here, but think it is inexpensive by Napa standards and quite good. I reviewed it on Yelp as well.

No comments: