Saturday, December 12, 2009

Broomball

I was having dinner with A, D and S at Sakoon when I checked the time. It was 9:20pm. I asked, "Guys, can we leave now? I have a broomball game at 10."

"What the hell is broomball?", A asked. He is from India and went to school in Arizona State. There was no chance he had heard of this game.

"It is basically ice hockey without skates." I replied. "I have never played it myself, so I don't know too much about it either."

When I was going to school in Michigan and Wisconsin, I had heard my friends talked about playing broomball. My understanding was broomball was ice hockey without equipment. The game was usually played on a slick, frozen backyard, with players wearing tennis shoes, running around hitting a tennis ball with a broom.

The Michigan Alumni Association of Silicon Valley organized a broomball game for 10pm on Saturday night at the Cupertino Ice Center. I signed up, figuring I need to play broomball at least once, so my winter experience would be complete :)

I arrived at 10pm, wearing a fleece jacket, jeans and sneaker, not knowing what to expect. The public skating session was getting over and we had the entire ring to ourselves. We were supposed to be given formal instructions, but the only orientation we got was a short plead by Matt, the association's president, telling us to keep the sticks low.

The ice center provided the broomball equipment. The "broom" used was not a real broom. Instead, a small triangle rubber attachment was inserted to one end of a broom stick. We were also given helmets, but most of the helmets were broken, and many did not have any foam protection. After running around in one of the broken helmet, I decided not to wear one, since the helmet was getting in the way.

Finally, instead of a tennis ball, we were using a rubber ball, about 5 inches in diameter. We were not given the option to rent broomball shoes.

We had 25 people who joined the event. Since we had the ice to ourselves, we were split into 2 teams. The criteria was those wearing college colors("College")and those not("not"). Since I was not wearing my Michigan attire, I was assigned to the "not".

Since there were couple of broomball "virgin" among the crowd (hmmm...I guess I was not the only one working too hard in school and did not have any broomball fun!), all of us took the ring and the same time and started a game.

I quickly found running on the ice to be rather tiring! Since we took the ice after a public skating session, the ice wasn't extremely slippery. We could run on ice. Stopping was more suspect though. I found myself running deliberately. I just didn't want to fall! The ice ring was also deceivingly big. At the start of the game, I ran from offense to defense, chasing after the ball. I was quickly winded and had to pick and choose my involvement.

With about 12 people on each side, and most of us novice. We really did not have any strategy. The ring was crowded with people, so neither side really had a chance to score. I also found I need to work on my hand-eye coordination! There was lots of "air" swipe with the broom, when I tried to swing hard at the ball, only to catch it at an angle and had the ball rolled in directions I had not intended. I was reduced to poking at the ball and sometimes kicking at it. I also found on defense, it was better to extend the reach of my broom stick by falling on my knees. It could be a really rough game, but since this was a alumni/co-ed event, everyone was careful not to hurt each other, and helped each other up if they fell. There was no body checking:)

After about 20mins of play, Matt called timeout. We were to start a real game. 6 per side, including goalie, for 5 mins. Then the players rotate. This was to be repeated until end of the session.

I took ice with the first team and was assigned to play mainly on defense. Since this was the first real game, both sides were tentative and focused more on defense. While there was some scoring chances, neither side really threaten.

After 5mins, all 6 players rotate out. As I was wiping sweat off my face, our team, "not" scored! It happened fairly quickly and I did not really saw how the scoring occurred.

"College" started playing more aggressively to score, but our defense held for the rest of the 5min session.

I got rotated back into the game and was helping out on offense when "College" had a break away. I was late getting back on defense and the player on "College" had a one on one with the goalie. He scored :(

For the rest of the session, neither team really had good scoring chances. After another 5mins, I rotated off the ice. The "not" team got a few good chances in front of our opponent's net. We were able to score again, near the end of that 5min session.

For the last 5min session, it was "all in"! Everyone on both team took the ice at once. "College" team, being down 2-1, pulled their goalie. I was playing a middle fielder type position where I was mainly playing defense, but was forward enough where I could get involve on offense.

About 3mins into play, our team had a few shot at goal, but "College" played great defense and stopped all the shots. As the ball was rolling back to center ice, I moved forward and hit what I thought was a fairly slow shot. But since "College" players were starting to move on offense and there was no goalie, I scored!

With that score, the game ended. We returned the equipment and chatted a little. Matt said if there is enough interest, he would organize a game every month, but probably at a Foster City ice ring, where they have real helmets.

We had about an hour of ice time and the game was totally fun. I will joined the game again, but next time, I would wear gloves, bring my own helmet and wear knee pads. My knees were pretty bruised from all the falling on the ice.

No comments: