Monday, February 11, 2008

Rock climbing

My friend H joined City Beach and inivited me to go Rock climbing on their free guest day last Thursday day.

I had climb once prior in Planet Granite years ago when they were offering $5 belay classes. Climbed a little after that class, but never got into the sport because I don't know anyone else that rock climb and do not have a belay partner.

According to H, for a second timer, I did quite well. I was able to scale a 5.4 wall and then a 5.6 wall on my first try. Almost made it up a 5.8 wall. I showed decent upper body strength and was able to do "jump", i.e. moving myself up the wall when I have only 2 anchoring point.

Encouraged, I came back for more today. I did a warm up climb on a 5.6 wall, then conquer the 5.8 wall that stump me the last time(albeit with many rest in between). I also got a refresher course from H in belaying and knots, so I can get belay certified.

I am also learning better techniques. "Jumps" should be avoided since it tires one out more compare to regular climbing where one move up using 3 anchoring points. This will help me up more difficult wall.

In my opinion, Rock climbing is a sport which is harder than it looks. I know I am suppose to use my feet more, but felt I got a good upper and lower body workout while climbing. On difficult walls, I even get a cardio workout:) My adrenaline was pumping the whole time and it was an exciting experience.

I hope to climb more in the future.

No comments: