Thursday, February 7, 2008

Happy Chinese New Year!

新年快乐, 万事如意
心想事成, 年年有余


Happy Chinese New Year to all!

I had my co-worker help me take this picture, complete with tradition chinese shirt(唐装), in a conference room:)

Per mom's request, I wrote another copy of the same spring couplet for my brother. I really don't want to write one more copy for myself, so I took this picture to send to all my friends, as the cover for my virtual Happy Chinese New Year card.

Obviously, Chinese New Year atmosphere does not compare with the atmosphere back home. But, as much as possible, I still try to maintian some traditions:

  • If Chinese New Year falls on a working day, I would wear my "chinese shirt" to work.
  • I typically write a few "Good luck() " character on red rhombus paper to give to my co-workers and spread the color around the office a little:)
  • I spend sometime cleaning up my place before the New Year and have "reunion dinner"(团圆饭)with family or friends on New Year's Eve(除夕).

This year, with all the time taken to write the spring couplet, as well as procrastination, I did not finish cleaning up my place until New Year's Eve, so no special dinner for me.

I also got myself a webcam this year so that I could have a video conference with the party crowd back home. My mom always have a Chinese New Year Party on the second day of Chinese New Year, where all close family friends and relatives are invited. Each year, about 40-50 people showed up. They were all happy to see me, if only on video:)

No comments: