Saturday, December 8, 2007

Madam Butterfly

My second opera for this season is Madam Butterfly. This time I was sitting in the grand circle, which allowed me to watch the performing. I had heard comments that the music mixed better for seats higher in the theater, but the singing sounds great where I was sitting.

Before the opera began, we were asked to perform a special task. It seems like SF Opera will be doing a recorded video presentation of Madam Butterfly and they need video shots of audience applauding. So, for 2 15-seconds segments, we were asked to applaud wildly. Some folks even stood up for this segment. Devoted fans!

The Madam Butterfly story is well known, and there was definitely no suspense about what was going to happen next. But the acting and singing was incredible. After Cio-Cio San did her rendition of "Un bel dì vedremo", there was no a dry eye in the theater. I linked to this performance by Renee Fleming for your enjoyment.

The audience so emotionally involved with the performance that after the opera was over, and during the curtain calls, the tenor playing Lt Pinkerton was booed! The soprano playing Cio-Cio San playfully wag her finger at the tenor before her curtain call:)

A review of the performance from SF Chronicle can be found here.

A very depressing opera, though I absolutely enjoy the performance.

No comments: