Sunday, April 1, 2007

Kayak Self Rescue Clinic & Visitors From San Diego!

In preparation for People Paddle 2007, City Kayak offered a self rescue clinic at a discount to people paddle participants. I decided to take advantage of this offer, since I enjoy kayaking, and the lessons will make me more comfortable in renting a sit inside kayak for future trips.

Ted from City Kayak led the lessons. The first part was a demostration and practice on land. For self rescue, we learn paddle float rescue, which can be used in any conditions. Then there is T-rescue, where by another kayak would assist a cap sized kayak. Finally, the sloppy rescue, to be used in calm weather conditions.


In this picture, Ted have me simulate wave on the paddle float to get us a feel of where our center of gravity should be, in order to have the maximum leverage against the wave.

After land practice, we have a hands on session. We were all given wet suit, and then cap sized our kayak on purpose. Getting wet in SF during early April is not a good idea, even with wet suit:(

I was able to do the paddle float rescue and with the help of Brenda did T-rescue. However, I think I have an extremely unstable kayak and was never able to do the sloppy rescue. Hopefully, this will not come back to haunt me during People Paddle:)

More pictures of the clinic at posted by Dean.


After the clinic, I met up with my landlord's family from San Diego. I first met the family while working as an intern in San Diego almost 10 years ago.

We have remain friends after I moved out. We last saw each other in 2003, and then sort of lose touch. When I sent out email asking for donation for People Paddle, they suddenly realized I am in the Bay Area and they were out here visiting.

We had dinner together in at R&G Lounge in Chinatown. After dinner, I drove them around town for some of my favorite SF sights.

I am really happy to get back in touch.

No comments: