Friday, November 24, 2006

Le Plateau, St Helen's Island, Old Montreal, Underground City

Head out at 9am to Fairmount bagels. Supposed to be one of 2 best bagel place in town, the bagel is less chewy than the ones in US. Good, but not great. I have a chocolate chip and a olive bagel.

From Fairmont bagel, I walk along St Denis and St Laurent to do a little shopping. Montreal people do dress very nicely and the stores here are more independent shops. Most clothing here are very fashionable, but being winter, not suitable for California weather:(


From St Denis, I took the metro to Island St Helen.This is the site of the 1967 expo. The highlight is the Biosphere, a Buckminister Fuller designed geoisdic dome.

The exhibits are on protecting the environment, targeted towards young children, but is quite fun even to me. The observation deck has great view of Montreal downtown.

From the Biosphere, I walk over to Steward museum. Again there are old montreal collection which I indifferent to at this point and another collection of old scientific instrument which I enjoyed very much.

I went back to Old Montreal to do a little souvenir shopping. My hunger got the better of me and I stopped at Restaurant S in Hotel Le Saint-Sulpice for dinner.

I started with the Venison tartare. Raw venison topped with microgreen and edible flower. The meat is not too seasoned, a little cold, but not unpleasant. Quite enjoyable when eaten with the balsamic vinegar dotted on the plate. For the main course, I ordered Canadian Lingcod. Quite good, but nothing special. Dessert was a molten chocolate cake. Not too sweet, again good but not special.

After dinner, I went shopping along Rue St Catherine. This is the famous underground city with many malls joint together. Shopping is more high end and less funky than Rue St. Deins and St Laurent, more like Macys/Bloomingdale class.

Had an early night since my flight for CA is at 8:30am the next day.

No comments: