Sunday, January 31, 2010

Best bargain in music...A Day of Exploration with Midori

I called San Francisco Performances' event: A Day of Exploration with Midori, the best bargain in music. For $15, attendees to this event gets to spend a whole day with Classical music mega-super star Midori, watching her perform, teach and share her music.

I became aware of SF Performances in 2004. That year, I won a cultural make over contest with this organization. As part of the program, I attended several concerts and dance events produced by SF performances and received coaching in appreciating performing arts. (Shameless self promotion here).

After the make over, I had attended a few more performances produced by SFF Performances: the Qatsi film trilogy by Philip Glass and a The Contemporary Music Symposium with Midori.

The 2006 Contemporary Music Symposium was a particular enjoyable experience, which prompted me to attend this event.

Our day began with a lecture by Robert Greenberg. Robert Greenberg is a popular classical music lecturer and I had attended several of his talks. He is quite humorous, but his style can be a little bombastic. In this lecture, Bob explained the background of and the finner points of the 5 pieces of music Midori was going to performed on Feb 6th. Midori herself provided the demonstration to illustrate the points Bob was making! It was such a treat.

After the lecture and demonstration, it was time for master class. 4 students from SFCM, SFSU and SFS Youth Orchestra were chosen to participate. The participant played a selection from the 5 pieces of music and Midori, listening intently in the audience seat would comment on the execution. While the comments were filled with technical jargon I did not understand, being present at the master class made me appreciate the music better. Many times, I thought the student's performance was flawless, only to hear Midori's comments. Upon implementing her comments, the playing seemed to improve the emotion of the music. I really enjoy this format and hope to attend more master class in the future.

After a quick break for lunch, the program continued with panel discussion. The first discussion was about composition of contemporary music. On the panel were Midori, John Adams(!), Matthew Cmiel and Joan Jeanrenaud. I was not familiar with Matthew and Joan, but John Adam was a big name, so it was interesting to see him on the panel. There was a lively discussion on how performers should play new music, are new music more difficult to play, the commissioning process. It was all quite interesting to me, a music lover that is an outsider.

Following the composition panel discussion was another discussion on Contemporary music. On the panel were Midori, Charles Amirkhanian and Mason Bates. Here, there was discussion on how to promote new music. Mason was not in favor of dumbing down the music, instead suggesting adding graphics, or changing the musical format to be more conducive to playing in clubs where people are moving around. Again, interesting discussions.

We were then treated to the Viola project. SFCM students playing violas and violins performed music compose by their peers. There was a piece which I really enjoyed. There was a strong Chinese music undertone and when the composer was being acknowledged, I noticed she was a short Chinese lady (Yu-Chu Liang).

Finally, Midori wrapped things up. She again touched on how performing music composed after she was born was important to her. Then she performed various movement from Feb 6th concert. Then, in an effort to show music history moved in circles, she asked the audience if she could play Bach?

Can she? Please!!!

The prgram ended with standing ovation to Midori's beautiful Bach music.

At the reception afterwards, I had the opportunity to ask Midori if she had chosen more accessible pieces for this contemporary music event compared to the 2006 event.

From the previous event, I recalled enjoying Judith Weir's music for 247 strings. The rest of the pieces were a blur. In this event, John Adams' Road Movie had an almost jazz like groove which was highly enjoyable. James McMillian's After the Tryst had an romantic touch which I enjoyed. Toshi Hosokawa's Vertical Time Study III was more technical, but I could clearly identify its roots from Japanese music. It was different, yet enjoyable. Even the 2 pieces I did not as much, Penderecki's Violin Sonata #2had familiar sounds and Huw Watkins' Coruscation and Reflection was quite upbeat.

Midori was super sweet. She smiled at my question and said "No, I didn't think this series of music was, the way you describe it, 'more accessible' than the last time. Maybe you are just more used to it."

Before returning to the south bay, I went to Paul K for dinner. I had driven past this restaurant numerous time on my way home from SF symphony's performances and had wanted to try it during the Dine About Town promotion. Alas, I stuffed myself with too much food during the reception and could not eat some a full 3 course dinner.

I ordered instead the braised pork shoulder with grill radicchio and creamy polenta. Please see review on Yelp!

It was a perfect end to the day. I left the city via BART, feeling very happy!

No comments: