Thursday, October 18, 2007

Free night of theater

I missed the announcement of Free night of theater this year and did not get tickets until a week ago. The choices was limited when I looked and I decided to watch Mademoiselle Modiste, performed by the Lyric Theatre of San Jose.

The performance is at Montgomery Theater in downtown San Jose. I got in after a long day of work and was some what tired. The show was in 2 act and it had a fairly simple storyline, so I was able to follow along.

This performance was put on by an amateur troop and it shows. The actress playing the main character Fifi had a wonderful voice, but the rest of the cast was not able to carry the show during several solo segments. Also, the music itself was good but lack certain qualities to make it memorable.

I did have a good time, and definitely applauded the effort of the cast and theater to put on the show. However, it is unlikely I would buy tickets to the next performance.

No comments: